Saturday, October 16, 2010

10 Things I Like About Delhi



This was my entry for the HT-Penguin Delhi Bookshelf Contest.  Though I was not lucky enough to feature in the top three winners, I was consoled by the fact that my selection is in the top ten ( ;-( but no prizes for featuring in the top ten).

10 Things I Like about Delhi :

1.      Delhi is a miniature world of luxury and glamour, it is a world that soothes, relaxes and allows us to indulge ourselves in our own special way. 

2.      I Love the Mix of the Old and the New.  Where else in the world can one find an up-market shopping mall in the middle of a village ?

3.      Delhi gives me my infinite variety of books, movies and even girls, and as also, the infinite variety of the earth and the sky. 

4.      I Love the good balance of Buildings and Gardens.  The Greenery that you come across in Delhi, you won’t find it in any other city. 

5.      In Delhi I love the freshness of the dawn, the beauty of the sunset and the rich magnificence of the night

6.      Delhi allows me to have these small moments of self-interaction with myself, when I can have complete freedom to be myself.

7.      At Delhi, I love its People and the range of people that I get to meet in Delhi.  It is mind-blowing…I don’t think u come across such interesting, diverse, people in any other city.

8.      Delhi’s like a place where dreams become real…and miracles happen.

9.      There is enough work in Delhi, to keep me busy and not enough to make me dull

10.    And last, but not the least, I love the street food here.  The Chaat, the Gol Gappas and the Chhole Bhaturas are lip smacking, hygienic  and easy on the pocket too.    


6 comments:

Durga said...

kakkakku than kunju pon kunju :-)

Durga said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Durga said...

errr... Factually incorrect opinions...If you like Delhi..You can honour that..But you CANNOT say :

"you won’t find it in any other city...you won't that in any other place..you cannot find this ..there...."

..that too in each and every sentence...

This is a Factually INCORRECT post :-)

just like "Infant Ram does not exist in our beliefs"

always remember..Today's opinion ( factually incorrect ones) might become tomorrow's history. So don't mislead the readers :-)

Shaan Menon said...

"Where else in the world can one find an up-market shopping mall in the middle of a village ?"....

I Stand by my statement. No where else in the world can one find an upmarket shopping mall in the middle of a village. And Delhi has three such places.

"The Greenery that you come across in Delhi, you won’t find it in any other city. "
...again, i have to say, this is true, because, Delhi is the greenest city. It has a rich flora, and especially, the ridges and forest in the midst of the city makes it one of the greenest.

"when I can have complete freedom to be myself."
...this comes from the comfortable factor that one has. and to me, delhi gives me many moments to be myself, to express myself.


"I don’t think u come across such interesting, diverse, people in any other city."
...again this is very true. Every city though has a cosmopolitian population, retains its own identity. Bangalore has its own, Mumbai has its own.. but delhi hasnt any. Pubjabis, Biharis, Tamilians, Bengalis and Malayalees eat, pray and celebrate together. Its a rich diversity.

Durga said...

If u want to know the beauty of other places..you must go stay the places...

without doing that..u cannot make such statements...

Have you ever lived in any city other than Delhi?

If you want to draw comparisons/conclusions about Delhi and Other cities..You should live ( or even a short/long visits are enough..in places other than Delhi..


All that I can say is this is a prejudiced view..rather a prejudiced post ....

Durga said...

this comes from the comfortable factor that one has. and to me, delhi gives me many moments to be myself, to express myself. ...


ha ha..that is your problem..You are inexpressive..who prevents you from talking/expressing while you are being in other cities?don't endorse your incompetency :D

Long Term Effects of COVID-19

As more people recover from the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), I have seen some frightening trend, that the Governments going gung-ho abou...